Let’s Walk with the Gap!
Costs are rising and Kansans are paying more to take care of themselves and provide for their families. Health care is no exception. It’s time to help Kansans get more for their money when it comes to health care and bringing good-paying jobs to our state.
Expanding KanCare will reduce health care costs for everyone by providing health insurance to 150,000 residents in rural areas, small towns, and cities across the state. Expanding KanCare will provide coverage to hardworking Kansans and result in much-needed investments in our communities to strengthen our hospitals, clinics, and provider networks. It will also make Kansas more competitive with neighboring states that have expanded Medicaid, protecting jobs and ensuring Kansas continues to be a good place to live, work and raise a family. Now is the time to invest in our state and ensure that Kansans have access to the care they need when they need it. Now is the time to Expand KanCare.
All of Kansas’ surrounding states have expanded their Medicaid programs, leaving Kansas as an island without affordable health coverage for many of its residents. Our goal is to bring awareness to KanCare expansion by walking the perimeter of Kansas — that’s about 1,250 miles! Your participation is crucial to the success of this challenge! Every step counts!
How does the Walk with the Gap fall challenge work?
- Get your free 8-in-10 t-shirt – If you don’t already have one, get your free t-shirt here
- Walk in your community – You can get together with friends or sponsor a special event with an organization you are part of. Wear your 8-in-10 t-shirts and talk about how you can work to bring attention to the importance of expansion in your community.
- Log your miles – Use this form to officially log your miles. If you are logging for a group, be sure you count each individual’s miles. (For example, if 5 people each walked one mile, you would log five miles.) You can log miles as many times as needed.
- Take a photo of your walk and post it to social media – This helps us get the word out about the campaign and the importance of expansion. Use #ExpandKanCare when you post. Also tag the Alliance for a Healthy Kansas and we’ll repost. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter and TikTok.
- Join us for an event in your community – Check the Events tab of our website for Group Walks in your community. At these events, you can wear your t-shirt and join other KanCare expansion advocates to spread the word in your community. We are adding more events every week, so check back often.
- Host an event in your community – Don’t see a Group Walk event in your community? You can host one! The Alliance will work with you or your organization to get one on the calendar. Email Advocacy Specialist Taylor Morton if you are interested in more information.
Not a walker? No problem! You can run, bike, canoe or otherwise get miles however you prefer. Every movement and every person counts!
Check back each week to see our progress!
We’ll update our progress on this page each week so you can see the difference your steps are making.